Tel: +86 -27 -6712 7626
Diesel Generator sets
Diesel engine and parts
What issues need to be noted in the installation of diesel generator sets?
June 24, 2022
Nowadays, diesel generators have become the first choice of backup power equipment for various industries, so what are the precautions for the installation and safety of diesel generators? It is always recommended that the installation, maintenance and repair of diesel generator equipment should be performed by an authorized service dealer or a competent, qualified and certified technician who is fully aware of and always complies with standard operating procedures, applicable codes and regulations.
Installation of diesel generators
1. After removing the diesel generator from the transport vehicle, first perform a thorough inspection for any damage that may have occurred during transport.
2. Check that the rated amperage/wattage capacity of the diesel generator equipment is sufficient to handle all anticipated loads during a power outage. If required, critical loads can be combined and wired independently into a dedicated switchboard.
3. The diesel generator equipment should be placed outside in a shelter, or in a basement, provided the basement has sufficient air for cooling and ventilation and is unobstructed. The generator should be placed on a non-combustible and non-conductive horizontal surface, slightly above ground level to prevent contact with the rising water level.
4. The generator should be installed close to the transfer switch and fuel supply to reduce the length of cable and piping required, respectively. If you plan to store large fuel tanks, you may need to apply for a permit.
5. A grounding lug is normally used to ground the frame and external conductive parts of the equipment. A qualified electrician must be consulted to determine grounding requirements and follow procedures that comply with local codes.
6. All batteries must be fully charged before being inserted into the generator.
7. Similar precautions must be ensured when installing transfer switches. Switches should be wall mounted and all points must be level with each other to prevent deformation of the switch.
8. The unit should only be connected to the electrical system provided by the utility company through an automatic transfer switch. This will ensure isolation between the generator's electrical system and the utility's distribution system. In addition, if an improperly connected generator begins to feed power back into the power lines, a reverse feed will occur, which will damage equipment or other major accidents. In the absence of a transfer switch, the safest option is to plug the basic appliance directly into the generator.
After the correct installation and commissioning of diesel generator sets, in order to ensure that the unit can be used in the need to start smoothly, the general generator manufacturers after the installation and commissioning of diesel generator sets, but also to the user for the relevant technical training to ensure that the user can independently operate the unit.
Abnormal oil consumption? Teach you to find out the cause!
What are the steps to check the diesel generator set before starting?