Tel: +86 -27 -6712 7626
Diesel Generator sets
Diesel engine and parts
Power introduction of diesel generator set
May 17, 2022
There are two kinds of diesel generator sets: common power and standby power. China is based on common power, while foreign countries are based on standby power. The standby power is generally larger than the usual power, so the country should pay attention to distinguish it. Common power is defined as the maximum power that exists in a variable power sequence with unlimited number of hours of operation per year between specified maintenance intervals and under specified environmental conditions, which is equivalent to the basic power in national and ISO standards (PRP).
Usually, the power of the diesel generator set will be clearly marked on the nameplate of the unit, but the nominal output power of each manufacturer is different, which is divided into: standby power (Standly Power), common power (Prime Power) and continuous power (Consecution Power)
The power of the diesel generator set cannot be compared with that of the mains, because the diesel generator converts the mechanical energy of the diesel engine into electrical energy, and the diesel engine is attenuated in the process of doing power. The relevant power definitions are listed as follows:
1. Diesel generator emergency standby power (ESP): under the agreed operating conditions and in accordance with the manufacturer's regulations, the generator set can be operated at a load and the annual operating hours can be maintained once the mains is interrupted or under experimental conditions. Up to 200h of maximum power. The allowable average power output over a 24h operating period should not exceed 70% ESP unless otherwise agreed with the manufacturer.
2. Diesel generator limited time running power (LTP): Under the agreed operating conditions and maintenance according to the manufacturer's regulations, the generator set can run up to 500h of maximum power per year. According to 100% time-limited operating power, the maximum operating time per year is 500h.
3. Diesel generator basic power (PRP): Under the agreed operating conditions and maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer's regulations, the generator set can continue to run at the load and the maximum power for unlimited operating hours per year. The average power output (Ppp) operating over a 24h operating period shall not exceed 70% of the PRP, unless otherwise agreed with the engine manufacturer. In applications where the allowable average power output Ppp is required to be higher than the specified value, the continuous power COP should be used.
4. Diesel generator continuous power (COP): Under the agreed operating conditions and maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer's regulations, the maximum power of the generator set running continuously with constant load and unlimited operating hours per year.
The standard also stipulates the site conditions for the operation of the generator set: the site conditions are determined by the user. When the site conditions are unknown and not otherwise specified, the following rated site conditions should be adopted.
1. Absolute atmospheric pressure: 89.9kPa (or 1000m above sea level)
2. Ambient temperature: 40°C
3. Relative humidity: 60%
What parts does the generator of a diesel generator set consist of?
Do you know how to calculate the power of diesel generator sets?